Your style is an extension of your personality, and your glasses can help accentuate this, but finding a frame that fits your face shape and showcases your individual style isn’t the easiest task. I should know. I wore glasses for 20 years (until I had laser vision correction!)
There are a few points to consider on how to pick glasses that suit you. First, you need to select eyewear that enhances your best features and complements the shape of your face. Then learn how to wear makeup when wearing glasses (there are certain ‘rules’). Plus, now that the end of the year is approaching, it’s also essential to maximize your vision benefits! So you save money on eyewear—and look good at the same time!
- If you are looking for new frames, try on round styles. No, not the Harry Potter super-round style but less rectangular frames than were popular in past years. Another on-trend favorite of mine are metal frames, especially for guys.
- Don’t be afraid of color! Use your glasses as an extension of your outfit. Get a couple of pairs in colors that you often wear in your wardrobe. Or if you want just one fun color, get the on-trend pair of lavender frames. They look great with a variety of skintones too! Some frames even have the color on the inside of the frame making for a subtle pop of color when someone is standing next to you or behind you.
- If you change your hair color often, pick frames that suit your eye color rather than your hair color.
- When wearing glasses, keep your eye makeup minimal so your frames are competing with your eyeshadow. Plus, depending on the prescription you wear, your eye can appear larger or smaller, so experiment with your eye look to see what works best. (Don’t be afraid to count on the experts at the local beauty counter at the mall!)
- Sometimes it’s not about color or shape, but about the little details like a bow on the temple, or some bling on the sides. That might give you some subtle pizazz!
- Then know what kind of face shape you have to know what frame shape looks best on the shape of your face.
- Cat-eye glasses are best for faces with a narrow forehead that widens at the cheeks and chin, as well as diamond-shaped faces that are narrow at the eyes and jawline and have broad cheekbones.
- Round frames are great for a triangular face with a narrow forehead that widens at the cheek and chin areas.
- Baguette shaped frames are a great option for those with an oval face shape as they balance all facial proportions.
If you don’t have Vision Care benefits, consider getting them for 2015. Companies like VSP Vision Care have benefits that provide you with a frame allowance, making it affordable to purchase designer eyewear. There are lots of vision care companies out there so check with your employer or check out VSP yourself. You can get an individual/non-employer plan. The site has great resources about eye care for kids, videos, and more styling tips! Or visit SeeMuchMore.com for details about regarding vision benefits. Benefits like these were HUGE for me as it helped my budget immensely when shopping for glasses back in the day!
Do you wear glasses? If so, for how long? How do you keep your eyes healthy? Fill out the form and enter to win a pair of Sunglasses! (One of the best ways to keep your eyes healthy!) Don’t forget to check out all my contests here and thanks to VSP for this framtastic giveaway.